Introduction to synthesis (Part One)
Introduction to creating live musical performances using Max7 and Ableton; initial explorations in sound synthesis using Max 7 objects; basic methods for controlling the parameters of synthetic sound (pitch, envelope etc.) in Max.
- Possible alternate teaching slot for week 2 class.
- Who am I?
- What are we going to do and why.
- What is Max and why are we going to use it?
- Sound, composition, graphics, physical computing (e.g. games controllers), interface/interaction design and implementation
- Leads on to Creative Music Computing, Sensor Technology and Sonic Art amongst other courses
- What is software and how do you use it?
- Discussion about how you think about software and how you use it.
- Resources for you to use.
- Help>Max Tour
- Work through: Help>Max Tour
- For next week, choose at least one project from the Cycling 74 website that you find interesting. If possible, download it and try and get it working.
- Watch this video: https://cycling74.com/videos/history/
- Read and practice the examples from Chapter 1P of Electronic Music and Sound Design, (Cipriani 2013), p.49.
- If you have time, you can also skim Chapter 1T.